Saturday, June 16, 2012

DOROTHY






















DOROTHY,    wood sculpture by Candace Knapp
 23" x 9" x 16"        $2400.      Photo Bjorn Andren

DOROTHY

The name is Matilda
but Dorothy just calls me “bird”.
I don’t mind.
Most people call us “cow birds”
because we hang around with cows.
It’s not as fun as it sounds.
One day I saw Dorothy running back and forth along the fence.
She spends a lot of time in the back yard alone
because her master, Sam,  works late.
She amuses herself as best she can.
I could see she was a lot more playful than a cow.
One day I just landed in the yard and waited for her to come over.
She barked and barked but I stood my ground.
I’m no squirrel.
I don’t run.
After a while she got used to me,
walked right up and gave a little sniff.
Within six weeks I was sitting on her back,
sometimes even on her head.
I guess you could call me a companion animal.
In the evening when we hear the car drive up
I jump off and she runs fast in through the doggie door.
Not me, I don’t go in there.
I see how happy she is jumping all over Sam
and he’s petting her and giving her food.
It’s all about the food if you ask me.
I can see she wants to please him
but she knows who her real friends are.





1 comment:

  1. I have always loved Dorothy and her bird friend. I love them more now. Thanks for this wonderful insight into their lives.

    ReplyDelete